Friday, September 26, 2008

My friend Adam

I know this site is usually all about the kids. But I wanted to branch off from that for a minute to tell you about my friend Adam.

I met Adam at church back when I was a little kid. My favorite memory...hanging out in his truck listening to a school house rock cd. Sounds silly huh? But little memories like that have made the friendship last even longer.

Anyway...back to the point of my post.

You see, ever since I have known him, Adam has suffered from juvenile diabetes. He was diagnosed at 14. I was 7 I think...so I really was just a kid, and never knew what was going on. But he was my friend, it didn’t matter that he had diabetes.

20 years have passed, and the terrible illness of juvenile diabetes is finally taking a toll on Adam's body. And it is not just affecting Adam, but also his two sons...Brendan and Aiden. The next obstacle he will face is a kidney transplant in December. The donor is his cousin Eric. A father of two sons himself, and another friend that I have grown up with.

Adam started a website to track his story. It's the easiest way for him to keep family and friends updated. He also has started a little forum on the site for information on juvenile diabetes. Please pass this along to anyone interested. Juvenile diabetes has had a direct effect on our family...and it is something we will always watch for with our children. Getting the word out is an important step in finding a cure.

But for now, I just wanted to ask that if you can, please keep Adam and his entire family in your prayers. It would mean a lot to me, and I know it would mean a lot to Adam.

Thank you.

1 comment:

The Wilhelms said...

Well if that doesn't make you feel lucky to be alive and healthy! I'm just going to sit here and stare at my healthy children, and pray for Adam and all those like him!