Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Nana's visit - March 2011

Because she misses her grandkids SOOO MUCH…Nana came see us back in March. The kids had a great time, and loved having her here. We even surprised the kids with an overnight stay at Great Wolf Lodge. I don’t know who had more fun…the kids, or Nana!


Great Wolf Lodge is always a blast…although I prefer to go in the summer when the outdoor pools are open too, it was really nice to be able to shed our jackets and stay indoors in swimsuits. Of course, the kids spent hours doing MagiQuest like usual…they have the hotel memorized now I’m sure. And Jacie really loved the story time in the lobby. But I think the most memorable moment was when Nana and Cavin went down one of the big waterslides and Nana flipped off! What I would have paid to have seen that!
Climbing to his bunk in the kid cabin

 Jacie showing Nana her bunk
 a friendly game of checkers...the two men in the chairs on the left and right were kinda annoyed that the boys chose to play checkers right in the middle of their conversation.  But oh well!  we will never see those cranky old men again.
 posing at the bear - waiting for ice cream im sure!
 loving the water!
 surf's up!
 the bucket just dumped a gazillion gallons of water on him
 wow...three forced smiles!  How did I get so lucky?

Since we were down in Williamsburg already at GWL, we stopped for the day at the Yankee Candle Factory. I went in with the impression that the kids would be bored within minutes. I mean, what kid wants to walk around and smell candles all day! But boy was I wrong. This was no small candle shop! It was like a little city within itself. Restaurants & shops filled the whole little indoor city. And on the back-side of the building was an entire Christmas village. Christmas shops, toy stores, even Santa’s workshop. And yep…Santa is there a couple days a week…YEAR ROUND. The kids got to write letters, flip through the naughty/nice book, sit in his big desk…and enjoy the snow that fell from the sky in the lobby area. It was quite the place!
And not to be left out, the actual Yankee Candle part of the place was really cool too. Every smell imaginable…and even a make-your-own candle section where the kids got to design their own candle (picture the little sand-in-a-bottle things…but with wax). And the highlight of the candle factory? Caden dipping his hand into wax. We will forever have a wax hand statue of Caden’s hand. Now we just have to make sure it doesn’t get too hot!
look at this teddy bear mom!
 in the Christmas village, waiting for the snowfall.  Merry Christmas in March!
 so focused on maintaining this hand shape as he dipped into hot wax
 The final product
this candle sits in the boys' bathroom right now.  it has so many smells through it, it's just weird! 
okay mom, im done looking at candles now!  Im just gonna sit here in the middle while you and Nana shop. 
 the clock tower show...the kids loved it!

Finally, we were lucky enough to celebrate Nana’s birthday with her as well.  A few surprise gifts from Papa, a yummy birthday cake, and a silly string attack by the boys made for a memorable day.
 


No comments: