Thursday, December 11, 2008

Room 3048

What is room 3048 you ask? That is where Jacie and I spent the past three days. You would have reason to be jealous if we were in room 3048 at a fabulous resort on the beach, where the sun was shining and the water glistening. Instead, we were in room 3048 of the Mary Washington Hospital Pediatric Isolation ward. I was on a love seat, Jacie was in a crib that more resembled a circus train animal cage with wires attached. Sounds like a great time huh? Please...
I took Jacie into the doctor on Monday afternoon. She has been coughing for about a month now and just couldn't shake it. It was too the point where she couldn't even catch her breath. Before I knew it was were being forced to go to the hospital, where they admitted her to the Pediatric Isolation ward. Jacie was diagnosed with severe RSV which had also led to pneumonia. So we were stuck! And in Isolation nonetheless...all of the nurses and doctors got completely gowned before coming in. Mask, gown, gloves, etc. Note: Jacie was NOT fond of the masks. Something about not seeing their expressions really threw her off.
It was quite the experience. Jacie was great, and 9 times out of 10 had a smile on her face. But she just couldn't breathe. Her Oxygen saturation level was around 50-70. Scary. Of course the whole hospital could hear her when they tried to get the IV in. They poked her in her hands, her feet, her arm, etc and just couldn't get it in. They finally gave up. But in general, she was a great patient.
Tuesday around noon she started to greatly improve, but then went downhill later that evening. Finally on Wednesday afternoon they decided she was breathing well enough to go home. I was so happy to be going home, but nervous to be without the machines too. But she is getting better little by little. And is enjoying being spoiled here at home today. She has a follow up tomorrow morning to make sure she is still improving.
For those of you that knew what was going on...thanks for your prayers and support. To Charlie and Leigh, Thanks for taking care of the boys, for coming to sit with Jacie and I, and everything else you did to help out. I truly appreciate it. And to Mary Washington Hospital...thanks for taking care of my little girl!
Day 1 @ the hospital..."i just want to sleep"

Day two: "This isn't so bad...wish I could breathe better"
"Day three...getting better" "Yay! I get to go home!!!"

(Sorry for the poor quality pics. Had I know we would have been in such a nice resort for 3 days I would have brought the camera.)


4 comments:

The Wilhelms said...

Jacie- we are SO glad you are doing better. I know you guys had a rough 3 days, but it is a relief to know that she is doing better and we will continue to pray for her improved health. She still looks adorable, even in the hospital, and seems so happy, too. I bet she enjoyed spending so much one on one time with Mommy(always gotta look for that sliver lining!) Glad you had someone to help out with the boys, and that they were such troopers about it all!

Anonymous said...

My sweet little Jacie, I'm so sorry you were so sick, I wish I was closer to help you and mommy. I'm glad you are getting better, I love you. Nana

September said...

Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't believe the Dr.'s had to put masks on to come check on her.
Are the boys sick?
If you need help with them this weekend give me a call. Even if you and Jacie just want to get some sleep for a couple hours they can come hang out over here.

Anonymous said...

Jamie! I'm so sorry you two had to go through this! I'm so happy the little sweets is better. Sending my love to you both!